Holy Redness!!

Tue Feb 24, 2009 at 06:41:43 PM EST

I've been wanting a Elite and I think, just think I would buy this one.

Well, I just shipped my 360 out today for repair.  What's on my mind??  Buying this

sweet Elite lol.  Yes that's right, this RED 360 Elite bundled with Resident Evil 5.

How sweet is that.  Here is a link to the story with pictures.  Enjoy :)

Tags: I hate red rings but love this RED 360 Elite!! (all tags)

Comments Disabled | 29 comments

•  so ugly. (none / 0)

red shouldn't be a console color. Just like that Olive green controller that europe got.

R.I.P Polandstyle :: 9/8/68 - 3/16/09 ::

by RoBBins0096 on Tue Feb 24, 2009 at 06:55:10 PM EST

•  ha ha Chris! (none / 0)

You got the bug!

Just remember that it is still just the same old shitty hardware inside.  Those "Elites" break just as often as the others.  If anyone says different, don't believe 'em.  'Sides, it's just red.  You can buy a can of red for a couple of bucks at Target.

•  I'd (none / 0)

never buy it, because I know how they fail :(  It don't matter what color the outside is, the 3 red rings will always show up, which is very sad to say the least :(

Your learning well my young Padawan: Polandstyle

by GearsChrisB on Tue Feb 24, 2009 at 07:17:57 PM EST

[ Parent ]

•  Not true with the new Jasper-chipped mobos (none / 0)

The March issue of OXM did a very detailed dissection of a launch 360 vs. the Jasper-equipped 360.  The improvements and layout of the motherboard and the components (heat sinks, heat pipe, 65nm GPU & 65nm CPU, decrease in the amount of transistors, etc.).

Official Xbox Magazine also conducted extensive temperature tests comparisons.  The launch 360 that was tested was actually a refurbished model from MS (meaning that it was a console that got the RRoD fix).  The overall architecture of the new 360s with the new Jasper-chipped mobos has undergone significant upgrades.  In fact, when you see the images of the 360s gutted, the newer versions barely resemble the Xenon/Zephyr/Falcon motherboards at all.  In addition, the Valhalla-chipped mobos scheduled for this fall will bring the CPU & GPU energy usage down to 45nm and combine both processors on the same chip die.

If you're going to take another plunge at a brand new 360, the time is right to buy one.  These newer versions are made to last now.  However, why spend the extra coin on the red "RE 5" Elite for $400 when you can pick up the cheaper Arcade-SKU console for $200?  The internals are exactly the same.  Just pop on your hard drive from your RRoD 360 & save yourself $200; use that extra coin for upcoming games. :)

OT: Why the heck wasn't this special console color offered for the Gears 2 launch?  RE 5 isn't even a first party game!  Sheesh.

*Sorry for all of the geek lingo.  LOL  Hope this helps!

Friends don't let friends two-piece.

by Blankman on Wed Feb 25, 2009 at 01:17:39 PM EST

[ Parent ]

•  Thanks for the info, Blank (none / 0)

So, when they refurbish the RRODed machines now, they are giving us these better Jasper motherboards, or are they still throwing the same old crap boards into those machines?  (I need to clarify because LONG after the improvements were made, they were still replacing RRoD boards with launch tech - which is why my machine that had its motherboard replace 2.5 years after launch, still has a "launch" board in it.)

In the meantime, I won't really have any confidence in their hardware until I have owned a Valhalla board for 5 years without it breaking.

The fact that we are all oooohing and AAAAHing at Jambi's machine that has never RRoDed, it should be the other way around.  We should all be desperately surprised when someone's machine breaks, not when someone's machine doesn't break.  MS's shit, soft or hard, breaks.  That is the conclusion.

•  The (none / 0)

other 360 I owned I sold to my brother in law, well it got the RROD. He got it back right before Thanksgiving and it's already got the RROD again!  So if they are using the new hardware it isn't any better.

Your learning well my young Padawan: Polandstyle

by GearsChrisB on Wed Feb 25, 2009 at 05:12:07 PM EST

[ Parent ]

•  Just for clarification... (none / 0)

Here's the chronological order of the motherboards that MS has released thus far:

•Xenon (launch mobo)- barely any are still around.  Three year warranty has expired for this version.
            •Zephyr (2nd version mobo)- X-clamps and additional temperature glue on the CPU & GPU for RRoD units.
            •'Zombie' Zephyr (3rd revision mobo)- Heat pipe added for RRoD units.  MS created this "zombie" version to unload the stockpiled 65nm CPU chips.  This version was not made available thru retail means.  Only seen on refurbed units due to RRoD replacement program.
            •Falcon (4th version mobo)- HDMI port included, 65nm CPU, 90nm GPU remains the same as launch model.  Larger heatsink with heat pipe.  New lower voltage power brick.
            •Jasper (5th version mobo)- Current mobo on all 360 SKUs with manufacture date of later than Nov '08.  Completely redesigned mobo.  Things finally make sense now!  Two robust heat sinks with heat pipe for the GPU (suspected as the main culprit for RRoD).  Both the GPU & CPU are now running at 65nm.  Built-in 256mb flash RAM for NXE.  HDMI port is now standard.  Better power consumption with another new power brick for lower voltage (less than 177 amps).
            •'Valhalla' (projected for fall '09)- Both the GPU & CPU will be on the same chip die at 45nm.  As the name alludes to, the 'Heaven' or Nirvana of all 360 mobos ever produced thus far.

***Dudes and dudettes: It's a no-brainer to pick up an Arcade 'Jasper mobo' console because the guts are exactly the same on every SKU model.  Why pay the high price for the Elite if you don't necessarily need the 120gb HDD?  Why pay the extra price for the Pro model when it only comes with the 60gb HDD?  Snap on your existing HDD onto the $200 Arcade model & spend the extra coin on the vast 360 game library instead.

Friends don't let friends two-piece.

by Blankman on Thu Feb 26, 2009 at 12:47:08 PM EST

[ Parent ]

•  LOL (none / 0)

Your learning well my young Padawan: Polandstyle

by GearsChrisB on Tue Feb 24, 2009 at 07:16:30 PM EST

•  Maybe they are trying... (none / 0)

to camouflage the RROD!!!

•  i think it looks sexy! (none / 0)

"As for FFF we'll see how my social life unfolds that night. Which basically means i'll be gaming lol" -Boxin

by SweetTea023 on Tue Feb 24, 2009 at 09:28:49 PM EST

•  You guys and your silly console failings (none / 0)

The secret is to always leave your console on and let it turn itself off after 6 hours. I've never once had RROD and I like to believe it's because I leave my console on all the time.

I'm gonna saw me up some of that sex locust.

by Jambi Bum on Tue Feb 24, 2009 at 09:35:10 PM EST

•  check dis shit, yo (none / 0)

R.I.P Polandstyle :: 9/8/68 - 3/16/09 ::